Sunday, August 2, 2009

The Eventful Flight

Until that point in my life there were very few moments when I was hyper active at 2a.m. I had left behind my family and was for the first time going to be away from them for a long time. I know you would expect me to be sad about it. But, hell no, I was all excited about my first flight ever! It was my first flight because I prefer not to consider the 50 minute domestic flight I took along with my family when I was 12. Anyway, I was comfortably sitting in an aisle seat waiting for the plane to take off and exploring the interiors of the flight.

I was stretching my neck to get a glimpse of the air hostesses who were talking among themselves behind the curtains. As if that wasn’t inconvenient enough, the lights were turned off because at 2a.m. the world usually sleeps. I turned my neck, well I had to turn it or break it and so I chose the former, and bingo there she was sitting right next to me and looking at me with a glitter in her eyes which no air hostess would have matched. I smiled at her and she returned it courteously. I looked away because if I talked to her right off she would not have maintained her interest in me.

I dreamt on for some time about her, or should I say about US. Both of us would go to the same university, become friends, fall in love, get good jobs, get married and have kids. I looked again at her. Oh no, that was the objective but she had buried herself under the blankets. She fell asleep I assumed, or was my smile so scary that she hid herself in those blankets? So much for the dream.

I woke up in the morning and the journey continued without much ado. About that girl, well I kept my distance because I did not want to scare her again. I changed flights and parted ways with her. To get to my connecting flight I had to walk so much in the airport that I felt like I was walking all across the continent. The whole point of flight travel seemed to be lost. Well they make you pay exorbitant prices and make you walk almost all the way to your destination.

I finally came to this airport after another boring flight. Again I had to walk miles to get to my connecting flight, only this time, to make things more exciting I was lost! I wandered the airport so much that they would have arrested me because I was sure I went back and forth their CCTVs a dozen times. So I gave up and went to this security guard for help. She took my boarding pass and told me “ Walk down the stairs on your right, go straight, take a left, keep walking and take the last right. Board the train that you will find there in five minutes.”

Me: “But officer I have the flight ticket, why do you want me to take a train”.

Officer: Laughing out loud……so much that everybody started looking in my direction. “Well the train will get you to the terminal not your destination”.

Everybody around realized what had happened and before I could see them roll on the floor and laugh I ran away. But the officer was still shouting “You don’t have to run you still have five more minutes”.

Me: Not slowing down the least bit….. “THANK YOU” but please leave me alone.

11 comments:

  1. @Vamshi, Thanks and I changed it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Money,
    Congratulations!! The story is very interesting. I think it is a goodway to go...I am glad you landed safely..

    ReplyDelete
  3. Bravo! Finally a beginning and a genuinely rocking one at that!

    Well begun is half done, so CONGRATULATIONS! Keep writing.

    ReplyDelete
  4. @theishu, Thank a lot for the encouragement.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your mom should read this. It will be interesting to know her reaction :)

    Good one, btw!

    ReplyDelete
  6. congrats nani on ur first blog continue ...........please update your blog soon its been very long since this post............

    ReplyDelete
  7. @Vamshi, Thank you! And I will.
    @Neelima, You are right about that. It will answer a few questions for sure. But I can't risk it. :P

    ReplyDelete
  8. i v flight ticket y should i travel by train. nice quest.. after seein this i remembered many things tat v chatted in coll bus..

    ReplyDelete