Monday, September 28, 2009

A Tragedy of Errors Part 2

Learning from mistakes is the hallmark of a successful man. I cannot call myself successful yet but I have the drive to be one some day. After my extraordinarily bad interview at the library I got another interview call and this time as you might have guessed I became the personification of thoroughness.

This interview was for an engineering job that required some expertise in Engineering drawing. And if you think I am good at drawing you cannot be more wrong. Come on! If I was that good at drawing I would have become a Doctor and be happy to draw the human brain. Well, I attempted to draw the human brain in my tenth grade and I could see the brains of my Science teacher through her dilated pupils when she looked at what I drew.

Whatever, I was happy that I got the call and this time I was at the building twenty minutes early. I was no more the cool and composed guy. This time I was Mr. Impeccable.

Me: I have an appointment for an interview. This time I did not dare to tell the receptionist the name of my interviewer. Like I said I learn from my mistakes.

Two minutes later I was sitting with this guy who wore a polo shirt and jeans making us look like the MAC and PC guys facing each other. So much for my excessive care in dressing formally!

Interviewer: Do you play any games?

Me: Calculating the implicit meaning of the question. Yes, so this guy wants to know about how I do in a team. All my life chess is the only thing I played. But that is not team work. So let me say football. But what if he asks me something about the game. I’ll be clueless and he’ll call my bluff. Alright he does not seem like a cricket guy so that is it. Of Course, I play cricket all the time.

Interviewer: Wow! Do you know Pradeep?

Me: Check! I need to buy some time here. Sorry?

Interviewer: Pradeep kumar.

Me: I think so, he is this new guy in the Indian cricket team, isn’t he?

Interviewer: OH MY GOD! He is the engineer I hired last month. I did not know he plays international cricket. He told me he plays cricket with friends in the University on the weekends and that is why I asked you.

Me: Checkmate! Oh! That was very modest of him.

Interviewer: I can’t believe this. Would you like to meet him?

Me: Presenting, cover up of the millennium! Actually, Pradeep is a very common name back in India. So they may be different guys.

Interviewer: Oh! That is what I thought. Because, this guy doesn’t look as agile as an international athlete. Anyway, I don’t want to waste your time anymore, (Here is how I interpreted this: I can see you are lying idiot. I don’t want to waste my time anymore on you.) just draw me this structure using AutoCAD on this system right here and you are ready to go.( Let me see how you can manage this time you moron. )

Me: Sure. (Except I have never looked at mouse like this before and you imagine I can draw a structure with this on the computer.)

Well the mouse was circular and it looked extremely weird. Twenty minutes later.....

Me: So……… I am done with the structure and I saved it on the desktop. Is that it? (Or are you going to call 911 and report fraud?)

Interviewer: That is it. I’ll take a look at it and give you a call sometime this Friday.

Well, at least 30 Fridays have passed by since this happened and I am yet to hear from him. It is not the job I am concerned about. If I could send the brains of my Science teacher reeling in my tenth grade, I did not want to imagine what my interviewer did to his building after looking at what I drew.

Sadly, last week, I read in the paper that the particular building I was interviewed at was being remodeled. I just like to believe that I am not responsible.

5 comments:

  1. Mac and PC: Lovely analogy! :)

    I think after this you'll have doctors coming after you for reducing their years of study to merely being good at drawing :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. hahaha..... its really gud post had lots of fun while reading ...........could u please also post the drawing which u have shown to the interviewer

    ReplyDelete
  3. It was really funny, as we guys know about your drawing and batting skills.. Good Job !!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  5. @theishu-Thank you! And yes, a Doctor already questioned that.
    @Vamshi- Thank you! But I don't think that would be a good idea as my blog might be banned!
    @Karthik- Thank you! I know my batting and drawing skills are simple unforgettable! :p

    ReplyDelete